About the Club

Formed in 1887 and still going strong after all these years, the Petone Club is proud to be a place for all to come and enjoy themselves in a safe and family friendly environment. Whether it’s dining at our Bistro, partaking in a pint of beer or a glass of wine from the Bar, holding a function for 10 – 200 or participating in one of our many adjuncts, there’s sure to be something for everyone.

With a wide range of facilities and activities including live entertainment on Friday and Saturday, pool and snooker tables, dartboards, TAB facilities and 30 gaming machines as well as one of the largest private libraries in the country, we offer a lot of variety to our members, their guests and affiliated club members.

Our adjuncts cover some of the most popular activities in the club scene and often participate in events and tournaments around the country.

Some of the benefits to being a member include member draws and a special gift on your birthday, so if you’re interested in becoming a member then take a look at the Becoming a member section for more information or email Reception for more information.


History

The Petone Working Men’s Club and Literary Institute was formed in 1887, over 130 years ago and has a long standing history in Petone. Leased in 1887, the Peels building on Jackson Street became the Club’s first premises for a period of three years before the club expanded into the Priests building in 1890. By the time the Combers Property was purchased in 1896 the club had built an impressive membership and had been granted a prestigious Queens Charter.

The Old Club: 1927 - 1977

With an ever expanding membership and demands for a more modern facility the club was demolished in 1927 to make way for a new building on the same site. This new building became commonly known to members as the “Old Club” and served as the main club facilities for 50 years. In 1977 it was decided that the club once again needed a major upgrade.

The Current Club: 1977 - today

On the 6th of August 1977 the doors were opened at Udy Street, the current location of the club. After extensive additions including a new restaurant and games room the Petone Working Men’s Club and Literary Institute now boasts a membership of close to 10,000 and high quality facilities.

History 15
History 14
History 13
History 12
History 11
History 10
History 9
History 8
History 7
History 6
History 5
History 4
History 3
History 2
History 1

The Executive

The Petone Club is a non-profit organisation run through our Executive Committee, elected biannually and are responsible for all areas of governance.

Bruce Hollow

President

Kerin Herlihy

Vice President

Karen Kiely

Committee

Jacky Nathu

Committee

Gordon Hays

Committee

Jim Hogg

Committee

Chris Church

Committee

Steve Bown

Committee

Stu Robb

Committee

Blair Bennett

Trustee

Neville Kent

Trustee

Malcolm Larsen

Trustee

The Mutual Assistance Fund

Every member of the Petone Club contributes $7.00 to the Mutual Assistance Fund (MAF) as part of their annual club subscription. MAF is the welfare arm of the Club and these funds are available for the welfare and well-being of all Club members.
  • Dale Ansell

    MAF-Welfare
  • Margaret Hindmarsh-Ross

    MAF
  • Jillian Johns

    MAF
  • Raymond Raffan

    MAF
  • Michael Collett

    MAF - LHMRSA
  • Dennis Chetham

    LHMRSA - Welfare
  • Peter Gooch

    LHMRSA - Welfare
  • David Weston

    LHMRSA - Welfare

The Lower Hutt Memorial RSA

The Lower Hutt Memorial RSA merged as a section within the club in March 2010.

As part of the Petone Club they have continued to provide quality care and service to their members and guests.

Today both organisations continue to strive to serve their membership and the wider community and continue to reinforce a sense of tradition and family values within the Hutt City.

Visit their website to find out more
The Lower Hutt Memorial RSA